i know i’m like a million years late with this but it’s been one of the funnest things i’ve worked on to date so i want to write about it. it was for the launch of my genius friend Lauren Beukes’s first novel – Moxyland – no doubt you’ve seen the name on my site before. anyway the launch was totally atypical to a normal book launch, as we tried to bring the sci fi world of Moxyland to life in the Book Lounge cnr Roeland and Buitenkant streets in Gardens. This is how you experienced the launch if you were attending:
1. You arrive at the venue to have pamphlets shoved in your face. Looking at the pamphlets, you see it’s a protest against genetic engineering on animals, specifically the genetic enhancement of police dogs, which are called Aitos. Aitos have articificial and ruthless intelligence, and are used as crowd control in Moxyland.
2. You are then greeted by a Door Bitch who asks for your name and checks it against a list. If you weren’t on the list she says to you: “I’m sorry, this entrance is for corporates only, please use the civilians entrance round the side.” She directs you round the corner of the building.
3. If you are classified as “Civilian” and you have to use the entrance round the corner, you are met by an uncouth and seriously annoying guy who looks like he might slit your throat when you blink your eyes. This is because in Moxyland, the good life, a fair life, is property only of people who work for corporates. Civilians have it rough. Sorry hippies!
4. If you make it through the corporates entrance, you are greeted by 2 funkified Moxy appropriate ladies who give you a test tube and advise you to get tested downstairs, because “you might be infected”. This alludes to the highly contagious virus within the book that is activated as a means of crowd control, and a way to reign in the feisty citizens who protest to the way things are.
5. You then descend to the clinic, which is downstairs in the basement, where your specimen in the test tube gets tested. We had tubes that reacted chemically and turned green and smoked a bit, and then we had non-reactive tubes. If your tube reacted you were given an immunisation shot, which was a big friendly syringe filled with green Apple Sours.
6. As an opening promo, we had pieces of “evidence” lying around for guests to collect. The first to collect all 3 received a Moxy toy and book, and a drink for their efforts. Though the first person to get all the evidence was a kid, so there was no drink.
7. Rob van Vuuren (Crazy Monkey, The Most Amazing Show) got into character as the CEO of the company featured in the book, and let loose an amazing speech. Most of the audience didn’t know what was going on, since the book had just launched that day, but it set the scene really well. Also Rob’s damn funny.
8. And a good time was had by all! The venue was packed, and it must be made known, The Book Lounge are pioneers in their field and are far more supportive of local authors than ALL of the local publishers that I’ve dealt with.
PS. YES i was the Door Bitch. Don’t say it! Also check out the RAD poster that was done for the launch of the Moxyland Soundtrack, also by Dale Halvorsen, who designed the cover:
**********for all the ins and outs of the Moxyland brand click HERE**********