every few months or so i think about getting a tattoo. thinking about getting a tattoo is just about the only time i really consider what my values are as a human being. the rest of the time i operate without any values at all and make the necessary apologies on facebook when i have a moment. one design i’ve really gotten to like the idea of is a line drawing of an african lion. a line lion. i like values attached to the symbol of the lion: courage, integrity, strength, calm. i feel these are concepts i would be really happy to have on a piece of my skin.
but i have been thinking that maybe the lion is not conceptual enough and doesn’t adequately reflect my lighthearted yet deep-thinking nature enough. it doesn’t really embody the concept of ‘i am a creative creative’, you know? you know how people tattoo meaningful song lyrics onto their bodies? well maybe i should tattoo the payoff line of a brand that i find meaningful onto my body.
it would definitely tell the world that i am serious about being a copywriter for advertising. i can imagine the camera zooming in on it when i collect my Grand Pencil Eagle Lion award at Loeries. then again, maybe i should tattoo the Cannes Lion onto my arm, preferably the arm that i write with. that would indiciate a mixture of dedication as well as a recklessness you would only find in a zany writer such as myself.
So what payoff line should i get tattooed on my lower back? Or on the back of my neck? Should i get the barcode of my favourite product tattooed on the back of my neck? Did my Maserati have a barcode? It must have some sort of code somewhere. Possible payoff lines i’ve thought of so far (some real, some written by me to describe me):
– umshini wam bam boogie [it means “Bring me my fake matric certificate” in one of our indigenous languages and is our ruling party’s president’s official slogan]
– Alive With Possibility [this is brand South Africa’s slogan]
– Please don’t squeeze the Charmin
– The Real Thing
– Finger Lickin’ Good (very conceptual, feel this one operates on many levels, physical, emotional, intellectual)
– Because I’m Worth It
– Inspired. Motivated. Evolved. (thinking of having a few spine implants that make my skin look like that of an attractive alien. original, fresh thinking, IMO.)
– Everything is easier on a Mac
– Sheer Living Pleasure (shows my zest for life and intolerance for anything moderately priced)
– V, W, U N ME (feel like this is a conceptual take on an old classic, kinda like myself, really)
– Let your fingers do the walking (smart yet sexy. I feel this one is a close contender)
Anyone have any suggestions? I really feel like this tattoo could win an award. Even if i don’t have budget for it, i must make it happen. Even if i only get the tattoo printed onto transfer and apply it for one day and i take lots of photos of it. This really does feel like a turning point in my career, y’ulle.